So, I’m overweight. Anyone with me? I’m only overweight by about three points, according to this BMI calculator, but all the weight is in the wrong places (belly, muffin top, back, etc)! As much as I’d like to blame my weight on my massive amounts of muscle….I don’t have any.
Everyone (mostly my mom) has always told me: “Jessica, if you want to lose weight you’ve got to eat right and exercise!” Not to mention, every single diet plan or weight loss program I’ve researched says the same thing. No matter what it is, it’s the same thing. Even fad diets and the really expensive eating plans say “with proper exercise” at the end of everything. It’s just great.
I’ve never exercised. I had always hated gym class in middle school and high school. Now I’m in college, I have someone I’m going to spend the rest of my life with, and I still can’t wear a bikini? No, I was not havin’ it. It was time for me to buckle down!
I just started my diet and exercise and I’m using the Lose It app to track how and when I eat or exercise. It’s really a fantastic app and it’s FREE. I started by entering my weight, height and age. Then, I entered my weight goal and how much I wanted to lose per week. I started at 163 pounds and my weight loss goal is 130 pounds. According to the app, by losing two pounds per week, I will have reached my goal by April 4, 2013. That’s less than four months away!
UPDATE 2/14/13: I’ve now switched to the My Fitness Pal app. I has more variety on foods and exercise.
I’ll be tracking my weight loss on here: posting healthy meals and exercise plans I try out. If I’m feeling really brave, I might end up posting before and after pictures in a couple months, but we’ll see how it goes! Until then, here’s a very condensed list of healthy eating and workout tips!
- Only eat when you are hungry. This is what I struggle with the most. There were just so many times I would look in the fridge and see something so deliciously fattening, I had to eat it. If you ONLY eat when you’re hungry, it’s almost impossible to over eat!
- If you do decide to work out, stretch, especially if you’re new to working out. Many times I tried and failed at losing weight, it was because I’d do a super hard workout without stretching or warming up at all. When I did that, my muscles were painfully sore — so much that I could barely sit down the next couple days, let alone work out.
- Instead of dessert, eat fruit! It is natures candy. Pears are my favorite because of how sweet they are. If you can, buy the freshest fruit possible, or maybe even grow your own! It tastes better off the tree and it’s loads healthier.
- Find out what is the easiest for YOU. We all know sit-ups, push-ups, and lunges are a good workout, and maybe it is for you. But for me, I find jumping jacks, planks, and walking to be much easier! Once I get used to doing those, I’ll probably level up to some more challenging routines.
- Last, but only last on this list — use apps! I know I say it a lot, but if you have access to these amazing tools, why not use them? I’m talking about apps that can find healthy items on the menu almost wherever you are! Check out this website for some examples, but don’t be afraid to research a couple on your own!
I hope you all gained something from reading this article, whether it be the tips, or just motivation to start getting in shape with me! Feel free to post some of your eating and exercise tips below! 🙂